Women empowerment start from women, ladies lets support each other. People with a strong mind, fighting patriarchy and promoting feminism are all taking a stand to empower women or to bring gender equality. Putting your judgment cap on is an easy task which requires zero amount of effort and doesn’t make anyone’s life better.
Here are few incidents due to which I decided to jot down my thoughts on this topic today:
- A few days back I saw an old video of Indira Nooyi (Chairman and CEO of Pepsi Co,) wherein she spoke about women coworkers. The crux of that video was that there is no concept of healthy criticism among women co-workers. I contemplated on that thought of the video and realized that it was actually true. Cross your heart and tell me that you have never judged a women co-worker for any absurd reason just to appease your ego.
- A friend of mine appeared on a job interview post her marriage and bombarded with questions about her family planning. Surprisingly the one who was taking that interview was a lady herself. Have you ever come across a man who was asked similar questionnaire post his marriage? Not only that, try giving interview post you are a mom and you will find all absurd questions pointed right at your ability to work in professional environment.
We need to stand with and for each other. It is human nature to be jealous of someone or something but how to handle it is a matter of choice. We need to understand the importance of women empowerment. We have read many stories of successful women. They all had one thing in common, a strong support system. Let’s be that support system for each other.
Here is what we can do on an individual level to make this world a better place to live:
- First and foremost ladies let us all just try to be a tad bit less judgmental about everything happening in someone else’s life.
- Support if you can and if you cannot then at least don’t talk ill about another woman.
- Freedom of speech or freedom of thought is applicable to all, try to be more mature when you use these terms and do not use it to justify your negativity.
- Compliment genuinely not just because you have too. Believe me, it is not that difficult to be genuinely happy for someone else and the icing on the cake is it has a feel good effect on you too.
- Keep your dignity intact before you pour your thoughts about any human being. I don’t understand why it is easy to criticize anyone’s effort and takes a lot to applaud them.
Being a woman we understand the importance of women empowerment because at some point in our life we all have witnessed the double standards or biases in our system towards us. It exists around the globe.
I agree we have come a long way since “Sati Pratha” or “Women look good in kitchen” days but there is still a long road ahead to travel for being accepted wholeheartedly as an equal gender and it will only happen when we all will be in it together. Do not forget to read “Negativity detoxification if the need of the hour“